Green Coban XIV
Vintage textile pillow in a medley of green tones with a tribal design of deers, farmers and corn interspersed with geometric shapes embroidered over green hand woven cotton. The backing is a vintage corte with matching green ikat stripes.
Once a Guatemalan Mayan woman's huipil and corte, these textiles been given new life as gorgeous accent cushions.
Down the centre seam of the cushion is a darker strip of green that was originally a dart and so didn't fade.
Front: Vintage Huipil Textile from the Coban Province
Back: Vintage Indigo Corte Textile with stripes
- Size: 22" x 13"
- Insert not included
- Invisible zipper
- 100% Cotton
Dry Clean Only
Stocked in Byron Bay Australia | Worldwide Shipping
Embroidered pillows are repurposed from vintage, hand woven and embroidered Guatemalan huipiles - a traditional blouse worn by indigenous women from central Mexico to Central America. They are made on a backstrap loom by artisans who embroider the intricate pattern as they simultaneously weave the base cloth.
Rich with ancient cultural significance, each region, town and village in Guatemala prides itself on designs and colors unique to them.This means every woman’s origin can be identified by her huipil regardless of where she travels.
Woven pillows are repurposed from vintage, hand woven Guatemalan cortes - a traditional skirt which is a long rectangular piece of fabric wrapped around the waist and secured with a faja (wide embroidered belt). The seams in a corte are sometimes overlaid by an intricately embroidered randa. Where possible we try to preserve the randa in our corte pillows.
Each hand-embroidered pillow, with its plush texture and exotic use of patterns, has been inspired by rich traditions from the Mayan culture and made using centuries-old techniques. Every one is an original and has a story attached to it.
* All pillow products are pillow cases only. Inserts are not included.
* We highly recommend buying inserts 1” - 2” larger than the pillow case to achieve the plump look as shown in photos. Minimum 1” larger is necessary but any pillow dimension 14” or larger can accommodate an insert 2” larger.
* No two pillow cases are ever exactly the same. The photos in this website are a very close representation of the pillow, but may not be identical to the one you receive.
* These pillows are hand made from used textiles and as such sizes can vary slightly. We recommend purchasing inserts only after receiving your pillow cases.
* Due to the handwoven and vintage nature of these products, small defects and signs of wear and tear, fading or ageing are not uncommon. We feel this only adds to the unique story behind each pillow.